As the days are getting colder its nice to have a hearty bowl of chili for dinner. Here is a great healthy option to replace your standard chili.
• 1 lb / 454 g dry great northern beans or white kidney beans, rinsed and picked over
• 4 cups / 950 ml low-sodium chicken broth
• 2 cups / 480 ml yellow onions, chopped
• 3 large cloves garlic, minced
• 2 tsp / 10 ml ground cumin
• 1½ tsp / 7.5 ml dried oregano
• 1 tsp / 5 ml dried ground coriander
• 1/8 tsp / 0.625 ml ground cloves
• 1 x 4-oz / 120 ml can chopped green chilies
• 2 lbs / 907 g boneless, skinless chicken or turkey breast, grilled and cubed
• 1 tsp / 5 ml sea salt
- Place beans in a soup kettle or Dutch oven. Add enough water to cover beans by two inches. Bring to a boil. Let boil for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand covered for 1 hour. Drain and rinse. Discard liquid.
- Place beans in a slow cooker. Add the chicken broth, onions, garlic and seasonings. Cover and cook on low heat for 7 hours or until beans are not quite tender. Add the chilies, chicken and sea salt. Cook for another hour until beans are tender.
Nutritional Value per Serving:
Calories from Fat: 21
Total Fat: 2 g
Saturated Fat: 0.1 g
Total Carbs: 18 g
Fiber: 5 g
Protein: 39 g
Sodium: 818 mg
Cholesterol: 2.5 mg