Veggie Burgers alone generally dont seem that exciting, however the toppings on these burgers will have you coming back for more!
Makes 6 burgers
- 2 x 400g/14oz cans kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 oz breadcrumbs
- 2 tsp mild chilli powder
- small bunch coriander, stalks and leaves chopped
- 1 egg
- 8 oz tub fresh salsa
- 5 oz low-fat natural yogurt
- juice ½ lime
- 6 wholemeal burger buns, sliced avocado, sliced red onion and salad leaves, to serve
- Heat grill to high. Tip the beans into a large bowl, then roughly crush with a potato masher. Add the breadcrumbs, chilli powder, coriander stalks and ½ the leaves, egg and 2 tbsp salsa, season to taste, then mix together well with a fork.
- Divide the mixture into 6, then wet your hands and shape into burgers. The burgers can now be frozen. Place on a non-stick baking tray, then grill for 4-5 mins on each side until golden and crisp. To cook from frozen, bake at 200C/fan 180C/gas 6 for 20-30 mins until hot through.
- While the burgers are cooking, mix the remaining coriander leaves with the yogurt, lime juice and a good grind of black pepper. Split the buns in half and spread the bases with some of the yogurt. Top each with leaves, avocado, onion, a burger, another dollop of the lime yogurt and some salsa, then serve.
195 kcalories, protein 11.0g, carbohydrate 33.0g, fat 3.0g, saturated fat 0.0g, fibre 6.0g, salt 1.38g