- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 cup chopped leeks, white parts only
- 3/4 cup chopped celery
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups carrots, sliced
- 1 cup rutabaga or turnips, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium russet potato, peeled, cut into pieces
- 1 15 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 4 cups fat-free, low sodium chicken broth, divided
- Salt and pepper as desired
Heat oil on medium heat in a large pot. Sauté garlic, celery, leeks and carrots for 5 minutes.
Add chopped rutabaga, and potatoes, followed by canned tomatoes and 3 cups of broth. Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer for 40 minutes, until vegetables are tender.
In two or three batches, puree soup with in a blender , or use an immersion blender. Add extra cup of broth to thin the soup a little.
Per 1 ½ cup serving: Calories 113, Calories from Fat 16, Total Fat 1.8g (sat0.2g), Cholesterol 0mg, Sodium 168mg, Carbohydrate 20.2g, Fiber 4.1g, Protein 4.1g