A lighter version of the family classic that retains its full flavour
For the meat-sauce
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 3 plump garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 9 oz lean rump steaks, trimmed of fat, thinly sliced, then very finely chopped
- 9 oz lean minced pork
- 3½ fl oz red wine
- 2 tbsp tomato purèe
- 14 oz can plum tomatoes
- tsp ground nutmeg, plus a pinch
- handful basil leaves, torn
For the layers
- 10 oz fresh spinach
- 1 egg
- 9 oz tub ricotta
- handful flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 6 wide sheets (about 175g/6oz) no pre-cook lasagne
- 4½ oz ball mozzarella, preferably buffalo, roughly chopped
- 2 oz Parmesan, coarsely grated
- 8 oz cherry tomatoes on the vine
- basil leaves and green salad leaves, to serve
- Make the meat sauce: heat oil in a large sautè pan, then tip in onion and fry for 5 mins until golden. Add carrots and garlic, then fry for 2 mins more. Stir in both meats, breaking up the pork with a wooden spoon. Cook over a high heat until the meat is no longer pink and the juices are released. Pour in wine, scrape the bottom of the pan as you stir, then cook for 1-2 mins until the liquid is reduced. Tip in tomato purèe, tomatoes and 2 tbsp water, then stir to break up tomatoes. Add O tsp nutmeg and some pepper, cover, then simmer for 1 hr, stirring occasionally. Taste and add salt if you like. Mix in torn basil. Sauce can be chilled for up to 1 day.
- While the sauce is simmering, prepare the other layers. Tip the spinach into a large bowl and pour over boiling water. After 30 secs, tip spinach into a colander and put under cold running water briefly to cool. Squeeze to remove excess water. Beat the egg in a bowl, then mix with ricotta, parsley, a pinch of nutmeg and pepper. Soak the lasagne sheets in a single layer in boiling water for 5 mins. (Although the packet says no pre-cook, I find soaking improves the texture.) Drain well. Heat oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas 6.
- Start layering. Spread a few big spoonfuls of sauce to barely cover the base of an ovenproof dish (20 x 29 x 6cm deep). Cover with 2 sheets of lasagne, then spread over half the remaining sauce. Cover with 2 more lasagne sheets, then scatter spinach evenly over. Spread the ricotta mixture on top and cover with 2 more lasagne sheets. Spread with remaining sauce, then scatter over mozzarella and Parmesan to almost cover meat. Top with cherry tomatoes and some pepper, then cover loosely with foil.
- Bake for 35 mins, then remove foil and bake 5-10 mins more. Leave for a few mins, then scatter with basil and serve with salad.
Nutrition per serving
447 kcalories, protein 38.0g, carbohydrate 31.0g, fat 19.0g, saturated fat 9.0g, fibre 0.0g, salt 0.96g