Come home to a warming bowlful of this filling, low-fat soup
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- large pinch chilli flakes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 5 oz red split lentils
- 1½ pint vegetable stock or water
- 14 oz can tomatoes, whole or chopped
- 8 oz carton chickpeas or ½ a can, rinsed and drained (freeze leftovers)
- small bunch coriander, roughly chopped (save a few leaves, to serve)
- 4 tbsp 0% Greek yogurt, to serve
- Heat a large saucepan and dry-fry the cumin seeds and chilli flakes for 1 min, or until they start to jump around the pan and release their aromas. Add the oil and onion, and cook for 5 mins. Stir in the lentils, stock and tomatoes, then bring to the boil. Simmer for 15 mins until the lentils have softened.
- Whizz the soup with a stick blender or in a food processor until it is a rough purée, pour back into the pan and add the chickpeas. Heat gently, season well and stir in the coriander. Finish with a dollop of yogurt and coriander leaves.
Nutrition per serving
222 kcalories, protein 13.0g, carbohydrate 33.0g, fat 5.0g, saturated fat 0.0g, fibre 6.0g, salt 0.87g