- ½ tsp fennel seeds, crushed
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- a large pinch of saffron threads, crushed
- olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2¾ pint vegetable stock
- 10 oz arborio rice
- 4 fl oz white wine
- 3 tbsp Parmesan (or vegetarian alternative), grated
- Mix the fennel seeds with the chopped tomatoes. Pour 1 tbsp of boiling water over the saffron to soak. Heat the olive oil in a wide, shallow pan and then add the onion with a bit of seasoning and cook for a few minutes until softened. Heat the stock in a separate pan until simmering.
- Add the rice to the onion and cook until the grains are glistening, about 3 minutes. Pour in the saffron, stir for a minute and then add the wine. Stir until absorbed.
- Add one ladle of stock and stir again until absorbed. Continue this process for about 10-12 minutes or until the rice is done but has a bite to it. Add the tomatoes and fennel seeds and cook for a minute. Serve with the grated Parmesan
Nutrition per serving
330 kcalories, protein 8.4g, carbohydrate 60.1g, fat 6.8g, saturated fat 1.6g, fibre 2.1g, salt 3.95g