- 6 good-quality sausages , skins removed
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- pack mushrooms , sliced
- 1/4 pint red wine (optional)
- 660g jar tomato pasta sauce (we used Loyd Grossman’s tomato & chilli)
- 10 oz penne
- grated or shaved parmesan , to serve
- Heat a large, wide frying pan, then crumble in the sausage meat and fennel seeds (there’s no need to add any oil). Fry for a few mins until golden and the fat is released, stirring well to break up the meat. Add the mushrooms and fry for a few mins until beginning to soften. Stir in the wine now, if using, bubble for 1 min, then add the tomato sauce and heat through until bubbling.
- Meanwhile, boil the penne. When ready, drain and tip into the sauce. Mix well until completely coated, then divide between four plates, finishing with a little Parmesan.
Nutrition per serving
657 kcalories, protein 27.0g, carbohydrate 75.0g, fat 30.0g, saturated fat 8.0g, fibre 5.0g, salt 2.98g.