- 3 egg yolks
- 3 oz caster sugar
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 1 heaped tbsp cornflour
- 9 fl oz skimmed milk
- zest 1 orange
For the base-and-to-decorate
- 1 egg white
- 3 large sheets filo pastry, halved
- 3 oranges, skin and pith removed, sliced into rounds
- 2 oz caster sugar
- Beat the egg yolks and sugar for a few mins until pale and slightly thickened, then whisk in the flours. Heat the milk and orange zest in a saucepan. Once it’s starting to boil around the edges, whisk into the egg mix. Put the whole lot back into the pan, stirring all the time until thick and boiling. Leave to cool completely. Can be made up to 2 days ahead.
- Heat oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas 6. Brush the filo sheets one by one with egg white and use to line a 23cm loose-bottom flan tin, overlapping the pieces as you go. Fold the pastry over itself at the edges rather than letting it overhang or you’ll never get it out of the tin. Bake blind for 10 mins, then give it another 5 mins until dark golden and very crisp. Leave to cool. Can be made up to 1 day ahead.
- The cream filling will be set by now, so beat again with electric beaters until smooth. Spoon into the case, then chill for at least 30 mins. To serve, put the sugar into a non-stick frying pan and leave over a gentle heat to melt and then caramelise, swirling the pan only a few times. Meanwhile, spread the oranges over the custard. When the caramel is dark golden, drizzle it over the oranges, let it set for a few mins, then serve immediately.
Nutrition per serving
177 kcalories, protein 4.0g, carbohydrate 35.0g, fat 3.0g, saturated fat 1.0g, fibre 1.0g, salt 0.34g